Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Top 5 Dog Matches

Cole here again. I recently saw Sophie's mom's post about her top five dog matches, so I thought I'd try it out. I honestly wasn't expecting to have a labrador retriever pop up as a match, but guess what?
Top Five Personality Matches:
Labrador Retriever

Harrier

Briard

Golden Retriever

Swiss Mountain Dog

Hmm. Guess I did alright in choosing Labradors. Actually, Labs chose me. I wasn't a huge fan of labradors about 8 years ago. I considered them a little too common and overbred. Kind of a mindless lump of a family dog. Where I grew up, a lot of people owned so-called guardian dogs: Dobermans, Rotties, and mainly Staff. Terriers. Why anyone thought that pit bulls make good defenders against people always escaped me, but I digress. No one I knew had a lab and the ones I did see always seemed a little bit...boring. But then Hooper waltzed into my life (I say waltzed because that's pretty much what he did. He danced his way into my heart with his wiggly butt.) He was a very sick puppy from the beginning, but in the short time that I had him, I fell in love with him. After he passed, I gave it another go with my next dog -- a yellow lab named Amadeus. While I fell in love with Hooper and he was the one that made me decide to adopt Amadeus when I saw him, Ami was the one who made me fall in love with the breed. Now I completely adore labs for their unwavering loyalty, their willingess to 'go get the ball' in the freezing cold water, their drive while they're "working" (even if their job is just chasing a soccer ball around the yard), and their capacity for love. They come with their own set of challenges as all breeds do, but they've worked their way into my heart and soul and are now an addiction. I'll always be up for adopting other breeds and mixes, but it's those labs sitting in shelters that REALLY tear my heart up. Maybe one day soon, when we've got Orion's allergies and diet finally under control and Cassie has some more training under our belt, we'll head back over to the shelter or a rescue and let another Labrador (or pointer or poodle or dalmation or shepherd...who knows!) into our hearts to stay.

6 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

How awesome that Labs came up as #1for your mom! We sure did enjoy her story! You guys are lucky to have her in your lives just as she is lucky to have both of you in her life!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Ferndoggle said...

Hmmmmm, wonder what Mom would end up with??? No matter what, something I'm mixed with would probably show up. Anything but Boxers...I've been trying to convince her we need more Shermans & less Boxers but She seems partial. The test should show her.

Sherman

Anonymous said...

That's great that your mum got labs as number 1 - and it's also great that your mum has a breed that she truly loves.

HM says she is yet to find her heart breed.

River

Amber-Mae said...

Well, your mom sure made the right choice in adopting you guys! No wait, you guys chose her! Hehehe... How come when my mommy tries it out, no Retrievers were in the list. Hmmmm...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Sophie Brador said...

Guess what? Labs are the most popular too. Of course, that might be why so many end up in shelters. Breaks my heart too. I love labbies and chessies, and am so happy to have a bit of both.

xo
SB

Lizzy said...

Labs as number one! That's awesome! You labs are wonderful dogs, really. :)

I hope you're all having a wonderful new Year so far!

Sparky